WAIT 2014 : Marwell Zoo (15th October 2014)
WAIT 2014 was held at Marwell Zoo on Wednesday 15th October 2014. It was attended by trainee anaesthetists from across the region as well as college tutors.
Lectures from leaders in the field were given on the Environmental impact of anaesthesia, Awareness under general anaesthesia, Remote and rural anaesthesia, Awake videolaryngoscopic intubation, Working as a Neurointensivecare fellow, Extracorporeal techniques in clinical thoracic transplantation, NCEPOD Tracheostomy Care and finishing off with Veterinary Anaesthesia. Trainees had the opportunity to enter the poster competition and four gave oral presentations.
Thank you to our judges Dr Tom Pierce, Dr Kathy Torlot and Dr Julie Onslow.
Oral presentations :-
- Winner - Dr Duncan Chambler, Dr David Slessor - The Bottom Line (Wessex ICS & The Bottom Line)
- Dr Dale Duncombe - Survey of 2g loading utilisation across Wessex Anaesthetists
- Dr Lewis Matthews - Ultrasound following spinal anaesthesia to determine the safety and accuracy of the landmark-based technique
- Dr Katherine Walker - Obstetric knowledge amongst junior trainees
Poster presentations :-
- Winner - Dr Jessica Makey - 'Grab-Bag' drug packs for emergency intubation
- Dr Samantha Allen - Rate of bacterial colonisation and infective complications of epidurals in situ for prolonged duration in patients undergoing laparotomy for pseudomyxoma peritonei
- Dr Ilana Delroy-Buelles - Intravenous iron to treat preoperative anaemia in elective major joint arthroplasty
- Dr Dale Duncombe - Fluid administration in elective caesarean surgery
- Dr Rachael Ford - Regional anaesthesia in orthopaedic trauma surgery
- Dr Honor Hinxman - Severe pectus excavatum leading to inferior vena caval obstruction
- Dr Elizabeth Killick - Paediatric cuffed endotracheal tubes: Are we using them safely?
- Dr Sarah Nelson - VTE Risk assessment and prophylaxis: A summary of 3 audit cycles in Poole General Hospital
- Dr Lydia Richardson - Epidural test and load doses: What should we be using?
- Dr Paul Stevens - Pain at home following day case surgery in children in a DGH
- Dr Claire Swarbrick - ICU nursing staff awareness of NAP4s' recommendations for emergency intubations
- Dr Andrew Vaughton - An audit of anaesthetic waste
- Dr Katherine Walker - Developing enhanced recovery for LSCS
Phone : 01962 777407
Website : http://www.marwell.org.uk/
|8:30||Registration, tea & coffee|
|8:50||Welcome||Dr Tim Martindale|
|9:00||Atmospheric science and the environmental impact of anaesthesia||Dr Tom Pierce
Consultant Cardiac Anaesthetist, Southampton
|9:45||Awareness under general anaesthesia - the 5th National audit project of the Royal College of Anaesthetists||Dr Mike Sury
Consultant Paediatric Anaesthetist, Great Ormond Street Hospital
|10:30||Tea & Coffee Break|
|10:50||40 bar to -40 degrees - remote and rural anaesthesia||Dr Rob Conway
Anaesthetist with an interest in diving and expedition medicine
|11:35||Awake videolaryngoscopic intubation||Dr Iljaz Hodzovic
Consultant Anaesthetist with an interest in airway research & management, Cardiff
|12:20||Trainee Oral Presentations|
|13:00||Working as a Neurointensivecare fellow||Dr Adam Stokes|
|14:00||Extracorporeal techniques in clinical thoracic transplantation||Dr Bart Zych|
|14:45||SPARC: Past, present and future||Dr Ben Harris
Anaesthetic & ICM Trainee, Wesssex School of Anaesthesia Rep and co-founder of SPARC (Southcoast Perioperative Audit & Research Collaboration)
|15:30||Tea & Coffee Break|
|15:45||NCEPOD Tracheostomy Care: On the right trach?||Dr Mark Juniper
Consultant in General & Respiratory Medicine, Swindon.
|16:15||Veterinary Anaesthesia - the difficulties of keeping zoo animals still and alive||Mr Peter Kettlewell|
|17:00||Trainee Prizes, Certificates & Close||Drs Ian Mettam and Helen Bryant|
Programme (Colour booklet) here (pdf).
Committee Lead : Tim Martindale
Treasurer & Sponsors : Helen Gordon
Venue & Speakers : Davina Watson
Website & Speakers : James Gaynor