WAIT 2013 : Hilton Hotel Southampton (11th October 2013)
WAIT 2013 was held at Hilton Hotel Southampton, near Chilworth, on Friday 11th October 2013. It was attended by 90 anaesthetists from across the region including college tutors and the training program directors.
Lectures from leaders in the field were given on paediatric intensive care for the DGH anaesthetist, cardiopulmonary exercise testing and the high risk surgical patient, the role of adrenaline in cardiac arrest, medicolegal issues, and depth of anaesthesia and awareness. There were presentations by two trainees on out of programme experience in Australia and Africa, and Kevin Fong finished with an entertaining discussion on risk. Trainees had the opportunity to enter the poster competition and five gave oral presentations.
Many thanks to our judges Dr Paul Spargo, Dr David Smith and Dr Kathy Torlot (who kindly stepped in at the last minute).
Thank you also to all those who presented at WAIT 2013. As the judges remarked the standard was high!
Oral presentations :-
- Winner - Rob Wiltshire, A Burton, C Papadometrieu & M Hargreaves - Do you 'stop before you block'? A complete audit cycle to improve patient safety
- Runner Up - Sophia Henderson, Nikki Bosley, S Davidson, N Amaradasa & Steve Wimbush - Perioperative starvation: have we made a difference?
- Dale Duncombe, L Philip & G Debreceni - Intensive care sedation and delirium audit
- Rebecca Egglestone, Claire Joannides & Jon Chambers - Buddy scheme in anaesthesia
- Rob Wiltshire & Joe Tyrrell - Does the Ranger fluid warming device have an impact on core body temperature?
Poster presentations :-
- Winner - Aparna Cockrell, Jackie Trim & Harry Akerman - Effect of Versatis a 5% lidocaine patch on traumatic rib fracture pain
- Runner up - Katherine Walker - Electronic prescribing systems: unforeseen problems which may compromise patient safety
- Lydia Richardson & David Quick - An audit of Do Not Attempt Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation orders in a district general hospital
- Lydia Richardson, O Davies, R Thomas & J Dmochowski - Seizures & extreme agitation leading to a 48-hr admission on the intensive care unit post alpha-methyl tryptamine ingestion in two young men
- Claire Joannides, Susie Baker, Andy Ball & R Egglestone - Target fractured neck of femur patients
- Naomi Wee, S Shuttleworth & Spike Briggs - Critical care and oral maxillofacial surgery: audit and service evaluation of the management and outcome of patients undergoing reconstructive procedures involving tissue free flaps and microvascular anastomoses
- Kate Shepherd & Matt Turner - Endotracheal intubation via a supreme LMA using the cook staged extubation set
- Mike Ward Jones, F Rossiter, Ian Jenkins & S Vyas - Back from the brink: survival from severe lactic acidosis - pH 6.48
- Dale Duncombe, N James, A Thompson & O Cramer - Fresh frozen plasma administration in intensive care
- Beena Parker, Richard Isaacs, A Diddee & Mike Wee - NEAMS - neuraxial anaesthesia midline signs
- Natasha Amaradasa - Cormack and Lehane revisited
- Amelia Arasaratnam, Gayatri Daniel & Margie Rose - An unusual case of biphasic stridor
- Laura Tompsett, Phil Dickinson, L Morgan & A Bates - The use of high fidelity simulation 'on the road' as an aid to transport medicine training
- Charles Archer, James Bromilow & T Qureshi - The 6 'P's of emergency laparotomy assessment: 'producing a pre-procedure P-Possum proforma'
- Francesca Riccio, Esme Sleap, Rupert Pemsel & N Jones - Crisis checklist for anaesthetists
Dr John Burden was awarded Top Trainer of the Year Award and the golden laryngoscope trophy is making its way to him!
Hilton Hotel Southampton
Phone : 02380 702700
Website : Hilton Hotel Southampton
Registration, tea & coffee
"PICU for the DGH Anaesthetist" - Gareth Jones
"CPEX & The High Risk Surgical Patient" - Mike Swart
Tea & Coffee Break
"Adrenaline in Cardiac Arrest: Friend or Foe?" - Charles Deakin
"Disclosure, Complaints & Whistleblowing (Sorry seems to be the hardest word)" - Carol Seymour (MPS)
Trainee Oral Presentations
"Is Awareness the Enemy of Sanity?" - David Smith
"OOPE - Sydney HEMS" - Liz Shewry
Tea & Coffee Break
"OOPE - Developing World" - Heidi Artis
"Extreme Thoughts" - Kevin Fong
Training Update & Prizes - Ian Mettam, Ben Harris
Close of meeting followed by drinks in hotel bar
A3 Promotional Poster here (pdf).
Programme (Colour booklet) here (pdf).
Organisation, Sponsors : Ilana Delroy-Buelles
Website, Venue, Registration : Katharine Barr
Treasurer : Anne-Marie Bougeard
Sponsors : Heidi Artis
Speakers : Sonya Daniel