WAIT 2009 : RNLI Lifeboat College, Poole (2nd October 2009)
WAIT 2009 was held at the RNLI lifeboat college in Poole on Friday 2nd October 2009. There was a strong attendance of trainees from across the region.
Lectures from leaders in the field were given on management, the national anaesthetic audits, regional anaesthesia, wilderness medicine and military anaesthesia.
Trainees had the opportunity to enter the poster competition and oral presentations.
Oral presentation :-
- Winner - Womens' and partners' views of epidural analgesia in labour. Dr Nicholas Leather
- Runner up - Developing the Derwent Analgesia Pathway. Dr Ruth Webster
Poster competition :-
- Winner - Southampton ICU Nutrition Audit. Dr Sanjay Gupta, Dr Ruth Darroch, Dr Adam Edwards, Dr Helen Williams
- Runner up - Do we do as we say. Dr Wendy King, Dr Juliette Kemp, Dr Mark Cross
The afternoon was finished off with some lively pro/con debates on Consultant Anaesthetist being resident on call and if training standards will drop with the implementation of the EWTD and that sub-specialty training should be done post CCT.
The Lifeboat College
West Quay Road
- 08:30 - 08:45 - Registration
- 09:00 - 09:50 - Medicine, management and quality patient care: what every doctor should know - Dr Sean O'Kelly (Medical Director, Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust)
- 09:50 - 10:40 - National Anaesthesia Audits (NAP3&4) - Dr Tim Cook (Bath)
- 10:40 - 11:10 - COFFEE & Poster judging
- 11:10 - 12:10 - Regional Anaesthesia - Dr Egidio J da Silva (Birmingham)
- 12:10 - 12:20 - Trainee update - James Coakes (Wessex Trainee Rep)
- 12:30 - 13:30 - LUNCH & Poster judging
- 13:30 - 14:00 - Medicine in the Wilderness - Dr Spike Briggs (Poole)
- 14:00 - 14:30 - Military anaesthesia - Dr Ben Siggers (Salisbury)
- 14:30 - 15:30 - Trainee presentations (6 x 5 minutes)
- 15:30 - 15:50 - COFFEE
- 15:50 - 16:50 - Pro/Con Debate
- Debate 1 - This house believes that all consultant anaesthetists up to the age of 50 should be prepared to participate in a resident on call rota.
- Debate 2 - This house believes it is inevitable standards or training will decrease with the intriduction of EWTD and that sub-speciality training be done post CCT.
- Dr Tom Pierce (Southampton) & Dr Kate McCombe
- Dr Jos Wace (Portsmouth) & Dr Scott Bird
- 16:50 - 17:00 - Trainee Presentation Prize Giving
- 17:00 - Meeting close, Bar opens, please join us for refreshments
The WAIT 2009 poster is available here.
Organisation : Tamsin Gregory
Speakers : Charlotte Allan
Sponsorship : Scott Bird
Publicity : Kate Donovan
Website : Timothy Hanham