Welcome to the WAIT website
WAIT stands for Wessex Anaesthetists In Training. We hold an annual meeting for Wessex Anaesthetic Trainees on topical and interesting subjects. It is an opportunity to hear educational lectures from leaders in the field as well as speakers on topical training, management and political issues. There is also a chance for trainee presentations on audit & research projects as either platform presentations or posters with prizes awarded by an expert panel.
This year WAIT is taking place on Thursday 23rd March 2023 at Kimbridge Barn, Romsey.
Fantastic programme including....
- President of the RCOA - Dr Fiona Donald
- Diving medicine and cave rescues - Dr Craig Holdstock
- Lessons from the frontline - Dr Kate Prior
- Propofol misuse by anaesthetists - Dr Heidi Artis and Dr Carolyn Way
- Complex and high-profile paediatric cases - Dr Peter Wilson
- Anaesthesia and the environment - Dr Mary Slingo
- Wessex School of Anaesthesia welcome and training update
- Trainee presentations
- Evening social - drinks reception and meal at Kimbridge Barn
- Programme download (pdf)
- See the trainee oral presentations and posters
- Presentations download (pdf)
Book now and receive a FREE personalised scrub cap
Book via Book CPD, Meeting £63, Meeting & Social £93.
WAIT 2022 - Thursday 31st March 2022 at the Three Choirs Vineyards
Welcome to WAIT 2022!!
We are really hoping to make this the social event we have been waiting for, with a great day of inspirational speakers followed by an sparkling wine drinks reception and three course dinner all in the grounds of a stunning vineyard in the South Downs!.
Programme - (Download)
- Trainee presentations
- Hypnosis in Anaesthesia - Paul Slater
- Trauma induced coagulopathy - current understanding & treatment - Ross Davenport
- Operational Human Factors - James Newton
- Stabilising the collapsed infant - James Tooley
- Cardiac Anaesthesia overseas, charitable work & global health - Andy Curry
- A minor setback - An inspiration talk from an ICU survivor - Geoff Watson & Alex Lewis
Presentations - (Download Oral & Poster abstracts)
- Amy Cash - CPET: Does onward referral to cardiology impact major surgery?
- Alexander Jackson - Prevention of accidental awareness under general anaesthesia: a regional service evaluation
- Razaz Elsheikh - ARDS Audit
- Tim Browning - Audit of complications of hypertensive therapy for cerebral vasospasm following aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage
Date: 31st of March 2022
Location: Three Choirs Vineyard, Botley Road, Shedfield, Hampshire, SO32 2HL.
Sponsorship: Kindly sponsored by Karl Storz, Hamilton Medical, The MDU and Gama Aviation
WAIT 2021 - Online, Wednesday 24th March 2021
WAIT 2021 was online via Zoom on Wednesday 24th March 2021, 9am-5pm
- Programme (Download) - Human factors, Stabilising a sick child & Covid on PICU, Anaesthesia in The Falkland Islands!, Doctor in the city & more...
- Register via Eventbrite - The first 100 trainees to register will receive a goody bag! The meeting is being held over Zoom, joining details will be emailed prior to the meeting
- Follow us on Twitter - @Wtmeeting #waitmeeting
- Kindly sponsored by Ambu, Karl Storz and Wesleyan
- Stephanie Kirby - Compliance to the NICE guidelines on pre-operative testing before elective surgery
- Rebecca Smart - Central venous catheter misplacement in an aberrant pulmonary vein
- Megan Joyce - Wessex Primary School - A peer teaching programme
- Alisha Allana - Improving the quality of information received by patients about obstetric analgesia and anaesthesia
- Case Report
- Liz Auer - Bittersweet: Lessons in the Management of DKA in Children (pdf)
- Lucas Rehnberg - Recurrent Pneumothorax in a Critically Ill Ventilated COVID-19 Patient (pdf)
- Nicholas Stafford - The Practicalities of Managing Beta-blocker Toxicity - a District General Hospital Experience of Severe Propranolol Overdose (pdf)
- Sarah Kennie - Hypocortisolaemia Masquerading as Anaphylaxis (pdf)
- Sophia Beeby - Multi-disciplinary management of an obstetric patient with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (pdf)
- Educational Project
- Alex Fahmy - Gas induction - introduction to anaesthetics for novices (pdf)
- James McEwan - Training in Awake Tracheal Intubation (pdf)
- Pete Gretton - Don't Feel the Pain (pdf)
- Robyn Lee - Ultrasound Guided Cannulation course (pdf)
- Samuel Bhattacharjee - Improving the Rapid Assessment and Management of Tracheostomy-related Critical Incidents within a District General Intensive Care Unit - an MDT Educational Approach (pdf)
- Scott Murgatroyd - Simulation in Preparation for the COVID-19 Pandemic (pdf)
- Sophia Beeby - A New Virtual Anaesthetic Teaching Programme Designed to Overcome the Challenges posed by COVID-19. (pdf)
- Quality Improvement
- Alisha Allana - My Little Journey' Assessing the quality of information delivery to paediatric patients (pdf)
- Bethany Parnell - QR for QI - Improving Staff Confidence when Using the Pro-turn® (pdf)
- Erica Jolly - Introduction of a Multidisciplinary Obstetric COVID-19 Team Safety Brief (pdf)
- George Moore - Implementation of the bedside 'Airway Information Form' on ICU; a quality improvement project (pdf)
- Luke Bracegirdle - Total Oxygen Content in Patients Admitted to Intensive Care with Hypoxamic Respiratory Failure due to COVID-19 (pdf)
Due to Covid-19 WAIT 2020 is being deferred until 2021
WAIT 2019 - Royal Southern Yacht Club, Thursday 10th October 2019
WAIT 2019 (Surviving the extreme - Antarctica, War, Space, Moutains & Medicolegal) happened on Thursday 10th October 2019 at the Royal Southern Yacht Club
- Defrosting clinical teamwork: Lessons learned from an Antarctic crossing - Major Nic Wetherill, Royal Army Medical Corps
- Challenges and views of polar medicine - Dr Anne Hicks, Medical Director, British Antarctic Survey
- The doctor on an Antarctic field station - Dr Tom Everett, Medical Officer 2015-17, British Antarctic Survey
- Unexpected survivors: What wars always teach us about medicine - Dr Emily Mayhew, Military Medical Historian, Blast Injuries Study Centre, Imperial College London
- Physiological effects of commercial space travel - Dr Thomas Smith, Consultant Anaesthetist, Centre for Human and Applied Physiological Studies, King's College London
- March the 4th be with you - Dr Andrew Nash, Specialty Registrar Anaesthetics & Intensive Care, Wessex
- Mothers-in-law - Dr David Bogod, Consultant Obstetric Anaesthetist, RCoA Council Member, Former President OAA & vice-president AAGBI. Nottingham University Hospitals
- Wessex Trainee & SPARC updates
- Being a doctor aboard a nuclear submarine - Dr Osgar Rylah, Specialty Registrar, Wessex
- Hypoxia, altitude and the mountains - Dr Andrew Cumpstey, Specialty Registrar, Wessex
Downloads - Poster / Programme / Programme handout
WAIT 2018 - National Motor Museum, Beaulieu. Wednesday 17th October 2018
WAIT 2018 happened on Wednesday 17th October 2018 at The National Motor Museum, Beaulieu
- Dr Anju Bendon, Consultant Paediatric Anaesthetist, Royal Manchester Children's Hospital. Managing children during major incidents - Lessons from Manchester
- Dr Nicola Batrick, Consultant in Emergency Medicine. Major incident planning
- Dr Clare Morden, Specialty Registrar. Being a motorsport medic
- Dr Linda Nel, Consultant Anaesthetist. Perioperative allergy and NAP 6
- Mike Crompton, Alloc8tor a software solution for trainee on-call rotas
- Dr Nikki Cox, Specialty Registrar. A non-direct route through Anaesthetic Training
- Dr Lucas Rehnberg, Clinical Fellow. Space Medicine: Experiences from a Mars analog mission
- Dr Jac Dendle, Clinical psychologist. Resilience and wellbeing
- Dr Heidi Artis & Dr Julie Onslow. Trainee & TPD updates
- Dr Fran Riccio. SPARC update
- Trainee presentations - £100 Amazon vouchers for best poster/oral presentation
- 5 CPD points approved by RCoA
Downloads - Programme / Poster
WAIT 2017 - Holiday Inn, Winchester. Wednesday 11th October 2017
WAIT 2017 happened on Wednesday 11th October 2017 at the Holiday Inn, Winchester
- Anaesthesia in the Developing World - Dr Ollie Ross - Consultant Anaesthetist, SGH
- ECHO in ICU - Dr Nigel Chee, ICU Consultant, RBH
- Paediatric OOPT in South Africa - Ruth Young - Anaesthetic fellow, GOSH
- Dr Liam Brennan - President of RCoA, as part of the RCoA's listening events
- Leadership in Healthcare - Fiona Dalton - Chief Executive, University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust
- Airway Presentation - Dr James Dinsmore - Consultant Anaesthetist, QAH
- SPARC update - Dr Francesca Riccio, Anaesthetic Trainee, Wessex
- THRIVE - Mr Reza Nouraei, Consultant ENT surgeon
- Programme director and trainee rep updates - Dr Ian Taylor and Dr Rachael Ford
- Trainee presentations and posters
Downloads - Programme / Booklet
WAIT 2016 - Bartley Lodge Hotel, Cadnam. Tuesday 11th October 2016
The WAIT 2016 meeting happened on Tuesday 11th October 2016 at Bartley Lodge Hotel.
There was a fantastic programme (pdf) including talks on :-
- Fighting Fear - Professor Christopher Bulstrode, CBE
- Perioperative Medicine and Anaesthesia - Professor Mike Grocott, Consultant ICM UHS
- Bronchoscopy Simulator
- Laryngology - Miss Kate Heathcote, Consultant ENT surgeon, Poole General Hospital
- Trainee Oral presentations
- Current Perioperative Medicine Research - Professor Mike Grocott, Consultant ICM UHS
- Retrieval Medicine - Dr Francois Wessels, Anaesthetics Registrar, Wessex
- SPARC update - Dr Andrew Nash, Anaesthetic Registrar, Wessex
- Palliative care in the ICU - Dr Robert Chambers, Consultant ICM UHS & Dr Carol Davis Lead Consultant in Palliative Medicine UHS
- Training Programme Director Update - Dr Ian Taylor
- Trainee Update - Dr Elizabeth Killick
- ORSIM Bronchoscopy Simulator
- Tea/Coffee and lunch included. Sponsored drinks reception
WAIT 2015 - Winchester Science Centre and Planetarium, Thursday 15th October 2015
The WAIT 2015 meeting happened on Thursday 15th October 2015 at Winchester Science Centre and Planetarium.
There was a fantastic programme including talks on :-
- NELA update
- Managing risk
- Working in developing countries
- Cardiopulmonary Exercise testing
- Trainee update
- Trainee Oral & Poster Presentations
- Planetarium show
WAIT 2014 - Marwell Zoo, Wednesday 15th October 2014
The WAIT 2014 meeting happened on Wednesday 15th October 2014 at Marwell Zoo.
There was a fantastic programme (PDF) including talks on :-
- Atmospheric science and the environmental impact of anaesthesia
- National Anaesthesia Project 5
- Diving & Expedition medicine
- Awake Laryngoscopy
- Cardiothoracic Transplantation
- Southcoast Perioperative Audit & Research Collaboration update
- NCEPOD Tracheostomy
- Veterinary Anaesthesia
- Trainee Oral & Poster Presentations
Also covered on our twitter feed @WAITmeeting
WAIT 2013 - Hilton Southampton (Chilworth), Friday 11th October 2013
The WAIT 2013 meeting happened on Friday 11th October 2013 at The Hilton Southampton.
There were talks on PICU, CPEX, adrenaline in cardiac arrest, medicolegal issues, awareness, OOPE in Australia and Africa, and Kevin Fong finished with an entertaining discussion on risk.
See the twitter feed @WAITmeeting
Downloads - Poster / Programme
WAIT 2012 - Norton Park Spa Hotel, Friday 19th October 2012
The WAIT 2012 meeting happened on Friday 19th October 2012 at Norton Park Spa Hotel just north of Winchester.
The programme included talks on NCEPOD, Pre-Hospital and Trauma medicine, Bariatrics and Simulation, finishing with Suman Biswas from the Amateur Transplants.
Downloads - Poster / Programme.
WAIT 2011 - The Rose Bowl, 21st October 2011
WAIT 2011 happened on Friday the 21st October 2011 at The Rose Bowl (Ageas Bowl) just outside Southampton.
The programme included talks from national figures on 'Matching Michigan', 'Human factors in Airway Management', 'Patient Safety', Out of Programme Experiences, 'Preparing for the Consultant Interview' and finished off with some lively debates.
Wessex Trainees' Airway Prize 2011
This is a new prize run by the Portsmouth Anaesthetic Department and open to all Wessex Anaesthetic Trainees to present Case Reports, Surveys, Audits or Research with an Airway theme.
The prize was attendance at the 2011 PAWS course & £100. More information can be found here or download the poster.
WAIT 2010 - Christchurch Harbour Hotel, 15th October 2010
WAIT 2010 happened on Friday the 15th October 2010 at the Christchurch Harbour Hotel
The programme included 'Why Anaesthetists get sued' by Dr David Bogod, 'Role of device regulation in anaesthesia and critical care safety' by Prof Peter Hutton, Professional development opportunities for trainees, 'Medical TV Script Writing' by Dr Dan Sefton and finishing off with a court room dramatisation. The background documents for the Courtroom drama can be found below.
Downloads - Particulars of Claim / Medical Expert Report / Norfolkchance Expert Report